El Capitan Pinot Gris and El Capitan Rose wines become winners at the wine-tasting competition of the Association of Black Sea Wine Crafts Producers
On February 23 in Kherson a competition “En Primeur–2019” was held by the Association of Black Sea Wine Crafts Producers. Within its framework blind wine tasting took place. The contest is aimed at estimating the potential of 2019 vintage and prospects of the Southern wine-making region. 22 wineries participated in the contest. They presented 41 sample of 2019 vintage from Mykolaiv, Odesa, Cherkasy and Kherson regions in 3 categories: dry white, dry rose, dry red. The judges rated both bottled wines and those that required further processing operations or were undergoing the aging process.
46 Parallel Wine Group entered into the contest with its El Capitan Pinot Gris and El Capitan Rose of 2019. Based on the blind tasting results, members of two separate evaluation teams in the category of white wines have ranked El Capitan Pinot Gris 2019 by the “46 Parallel” as a total winner that has scored 90.86 of 100. According to the award panel, the wine has won their hearts by its pure, sunny and straw colour, its bouquet that harmoniously combines fresh flowery tones and citrus notes. and by its refreshing and well-balanced taste.
In the rose wines category all judges have highly scored the bright taste of El Capitan Rose 2019 (86.86 of 100). This wine has a delicate variety-specific bouquet with strawberry, cranberry, red currant and gooseberry tones. Its taste is very refined, delicate and refreshing. According to the public rating this rose wine became the winner in its category.
Similar contests are common in France, they are arranged for long-term purchases of wine, usually 12–18 months before the wine is officially released. This year’s competition in Kherson was organised in partnership with Association Sommelier of Ukraine, sommeliers Serhii Shevyriev, Aleksandr Snigur, Julia Bronnikova and winery technologists Tetiana Syletska and Kateryna Mykhalkina, as well as in partnership with the head of the sensory evaluation laboratory Natalia Kameneva. The expert taste panel was headed by Dmytro Sydorenko. High scores to the 46 Parallel Wine Group’s products ranked by such high-calibre experts is another step of the brand on its path toward recognition both in Ukraine and at the global stage.
Scores of all contest winners, expert version: White wines:
- Pinot Gris El Capitan 2019, 46 Parallel, score: 90.86 (bottled on 31.01.2020)
- Chardonnay 2019, Beykush Winery, score: 87.29
- Orchestra Riesling 2019, Klara Marsala, score: 85.57
- Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2019, SliVino, score: 88.29
- Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot Rose 2019, Frumushika-Nova, score: 87.29 (bottled on 10.02.2020)
- Rose El Capitan 2019, 46 Parallel, score: 86.86 (bottled on 31.01.2020)
- Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot 2019, SliVino, score 91.29
- Merlot-Cabernet Sauvignon 2019, Chupryna Oleksandr, score: 90.29
Elvido 2019, III Syzons, score: 90.29
- Merlot 2019, Ankossi Winĕry and Cabernet Sauvignon 2 2019, wine-maker Kostsov, score 89.43
Scores of all contest winners, public version: White wines:
- Pinot Gris El Capitan 2019, 46 Parallel, score: 82.06 (bottled on 31.01.2020)
- Pino Griggio 2019, Vynohrad Odesa, score: 81.74 (bottled on 27.12.2020)
- Sukholymansky white 2019, Frumushika-Nova, score: 80.77 (bottled on 10.02.2020)
- Rose El Capitan 2019, 46 Parallel, score: 85.36 (bottled on 31.01.2020)
- Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2019, SliVino, score: 83.42
- Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot Rose 2019, Frumushika-Nova, score: 82.24 (bottled on 10.02.2020)
- Cabernet Sauvignon 2019, wine-maker Kostsov, score: 85.32
- Cabernet Sauvignon-Merlot 2019, SliVino, score: 84.15
- Korsunsky Monastery 2019, Hand Made Wine, score: 83.68
Complete list of winners according to experts and the public can be found on Facebook page of the Association of Black Sea Wine Crafts Producers